Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mark Birch

Pink Floyd: Money


The Possible Anatomy Of A Dumplings Crawl
My Secret Sauce

Mark Birch: Investor, Entrepreneur, Trader: "my love of technology led me to advise and invest in NYC start-ups. I also write a blog 'Strong Opinions' for investors and entrepreneurs" ..... I look at three things; location, market and team. ..... I only fund start-ups in the NYC area. .... like to be hands on, so being nearby to meet in person helps. ..... I prefer tech that is built to help small businesses. The most exciting opportunities are in the small business market, which is underserved yet has the most upside. ....... Technologies that leverage the ease of use of consumer web interfaces yet provide the power of enterprise tools are going to be more prevalent over the coming decade. ...... I have to believe in the team’s ability and guts to execute. There are a lot of smart folks with great ideas, but only a small fraction that have the type of persistence and passion to turn an idea into a successful business for themselves and their investors. Underlying this belief is the need to establish a relationship of trust between the founders and investor. Without trust, the relationship will quickly become contentious and a distraction to building the business. ...... I also liked Victoria, Audrey and Melody ...... NYC is an excellent place for tech companies to start and grow into the next Google or Facebook. ...... I started a band in NYC after college called Grep playing heavy metal tunes in bars around the Lower East Side. Our big “hits” were covers of King Contrary Man by the Cult and Man in a Box by Alice in Chains though we also had a decent selection of originals. Nowadays, I do not get much playing time in, but I pull out the acoustic guitar once in awhile playing everything from Christian hymns to metal to my own material. At some point, I might get the initiative to get another band together, clean up all of my recordings and put out an album. If anyone is interested in getting together, let me know. ........ NYC is the place to be right now for start-ups and it has to do with the incredibly talented people here.

New York City




Patti Smith: Dancing Barefoot
Is It About Women?

Flushing is the Dumpling King of NYC
Join the Flushing, Queens Dumpling Tour
Epic Flushing Chinese Dumpling Tour

No comments: