Friday, October 01, 2010

I Gave In: Facebook: The Movie

Mark Zuckerberg, May 2007Image via WikipediaI was strolling around in Murray Hill, and I happened to walk by the movie theater on 32nd Street and Second Avenue. I walked in, looked around, checked out the movie times. One time slot for The Social Network was sold out.

I walked out. Spent some time in the bookstore next door. I had quietly noted down a time slot that might work. It was close to 7PM.

I walked in again about 15 minutes before that. I bought a ticket. I am glad I did.

This actually is a very well made movie. It is a movie. It is a fictionalized version of what happened, but there are too many parallels.

It is good drama. Kevin Spacey is the executive producer. That adds to the weight, I believe.

Facebook has become too big a cultural phenomenon to have been able to avoid a movie like this made. Too many people who will not pick up a book on the topic want to know what happened.

The dramatizations aside, I did not feel Zuck got demonized or anything like that. The lawsuits were but harassments posssible in murky legal environments.

Mark Zuckerberg did not steal the idea from anyone, those guys should never have received any money. Those were bogus lawsuits. He got blackmailed, and the system allowed that.

The best line of the movie is when Zuck says: "You have a part of my attention."

The guy presented as cofounder was not a cofounder. Zuck wrote all that early code.

A big omission in the movie is Zuck's steady girlfriend of so many long years. She is not shown at all.

And of course the movie totally misses out on the engineering behind the phenomenon called Facebook.

But then movies perhaps are supposed to be drama, and hence the total focus on the lawsuits. Lawsuits make for friction make for drama.
Kevin Spacey, at the HBO post-Emmys party, in 2008Image via Wikipedia
The movie is well made, it is not accurate, was not meant to be, although most people will believe most details.

Facebook the company has no big reason to dislike the movie, really. There is much dramatization, not much demonization.

The basic movie ingredients are actually in top form. I can see this movie making a lot of money worldwide.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: