Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, LinkedIn

Image representing Twitter as depicted in Crun...Image via CrunchBaseSocial media is going to be so fundamental to all aspects of my company's operations that I have decided to put that into the DNA, into the culture. When you apply for a job with me, you email me the web addresses of your presences on these four platforms - Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, LinkedIn - and a few paragraphs of who you are and why you are the best person for the job. That is where the conversation starts.

Obviously everyone on my corporate team is going to stay active on those four platforms. Obviously you are going to end up with some level of transparency, you are going to end up with what might look like a jellyfish organization. Overall I think that is a good thing.

But that is the surface of it. Things get better. To my tech team based primarily in New York I am going to say, think of the last mile
Image representing Facebook as depicted in Cru...Image via CrunchBaseof our business as being in the data collection business. The people on our team doing the last mile are busy collecting data. You help me make sense of all that data, in as real time as possible.

There will be a lot of number crunching and data visualizations for internal corporate consumption. There will be much internal use of social media. For every Twitter, there is a Yammer. There will be internal blogs. Google Apps is a great place to start.
Image representing Tumblr as depicted in Crunc...Image via CrunchBase
Social gaming is going to the crown jewel in my tech arsenal. It is through social gaming that we are going to get our existing lenders to rope in more lenders. It is through social gaming that we will help spread the word about global poverty in all its manifestations.

But it all starts with social media. If you are not active on the basic social media platforms - Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, LinkedIn - you don't belong on my team. The people who left in the recent upheaval on my pre-launch startup team, none of them were active on these platforms except for Facebook. Facebook alone does not cut it. And just having a Facebook account does not cut it either. You actually have to be active. Try pressing that like button a few times.
Image representing LinkedIn as depicted in Cru...Image via CrunchBase
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: